Friday, September 22, 2006

Arundhati Roy quote...

I just heard this at the tail end of the Democracy Now, May 23rd 2006 interview with Arundhati Roy... (the whole text /audio / video of the interview is available at Democracynow.org ... the whole interview is wonderful... packed with coolness...)
I like this quote because I feel like I've become less and less identified with "being an artist", yet, the same energy which fueled my art when it was at it's best is now behind more and more of everything I do and how I actually live my life... thought it was relevant to the class (and Makes me wonder why I still haven't read Howard Zinn's "Artists in a Time of War"... hrm... new homework!)

AMY GOODMAN: I want to ask in our last 30 seconds: the role you see of the artist in a time of war?

ARUNDHATI ROY: Well, I think the problem is that artists are not a homogenous lot of people, and some of them are as rightwing and establishment as they can get, you know, so the role of the artist is not different from the role of any human being. You pick your side, and then you fight, you know? But in a country like India, I'm not seeing that many radical positions taken by writers or poets or artists, you know? It's all the seduction of the market that has shut them up like a good medieval beheading never could.

2 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Professor Suzanne Scott Constantine said...

Sean: I love Democracy Now! And Arundhati Roy. Did you read The God of Small Things?

Emily A: The film An Inconvenient Truth is the Al Gore film on Global Warming. your interest in the environment makes that one a must-see for you. Also, I hope you enjoy the cape farewell website.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Haven't read any Arundhati Roy, but I picked up Ordinary Person's Guide to Empire and God of Small Things while I was in India... I heard that the God of Small Things is a masterpiece! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home